Recipe by FLUFFSTER
Awesome flavor and you can make it the thickness you desire. I have made this salsa for years, and have made it countless times per request of friends and neighbors. I happen to love cilantro! Feel free to use different measurements. You may want to try a little, add more, etc.
Top Review by SarahGartland
I doubled the amount of tomatoes, and this was still an insane amount of cilantro. Maybe a "bunch" means different things to different people. I would suggest ripping off a SMALL handful of cilantro leaves and throw it in when processing the onion, leaving it chunky.
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, reserving juice
- garlic powder (I use 1/4-1/2 tsp.)
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems included
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- red pepper flakes
- water, for thinning if necessary
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a food processor,pulse the onion, red pepper flakes, and salt until you get the chunkiness you like. Some like it chunkier than others.
- Scrape into large mixing bowl. Put cilantro into processor and pulse until fairly fine.Add to onions in bowl.
- Put tomatoes into processor and pulse until fairly fine. Put tomatoes into bowl with other ingredients.
- Slowly add reserved juice to mixture until you get the thickness you like.( I add all of the juice to this amount of ingredients). You can add a small amount of water if you like it thinner, but go slowly; you can always add, but you can't take out.
- Add salt and red pepper flakes to get the heat you like.
- This is my first posting, but this recipe has a lot of mileage! I hope you enjoy it as much as I've had making it for others.It can be doubled or tripled easily.