- 1 roasting chicken (2-3 lbs)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced thick
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 3 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the carrots, parsnips and onions in the bottom of a big roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper, and add to that the 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Then, remove the contents from the cavity of the chicken.
- Slice the top off of the whole head of garlic, and put that, the halved lemon, and the whole bunch of thyme inside the cavity. Truss the legs of the chicken.
- Season the outside of the chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the roasting pan, fold the wings underneath the bird.
- Put the pan into a 400-degree oven for an hour and fifteen minutes -- at that point, check to see if the chicken's done (slice the wing, the juices should run clear). Add more time if needed.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes, carve and serve with the roasted vegetables.