Recipe by AprilN
This salsa is a favorite in the house. Made with fresh tomatoes, fried onions (the secret ingredient), cilantro and serrano peppers. It is sure to be a hit in your house too!
Top Review by Scarletts Mom
very good! i did make a few adjustments. i used a can of crushed tomatoes since i didnt have fresh, and i also simmered it for about 20 minutes after it was all mixed. I also used pickled jalapeno instead of serrano, and poured some of the jalepeno juice in mine for a little extra spice.
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in fry pan on medium high heat.
- Fry onions until blackened but still tender.
- While onions are cooking, put tomatoes, cilantro, serrano pepper and garlic in mini chopper or food processor on high until all ingredients are finely chopped.
- When onions are done add them to processor along with the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend again until desired consistency. I blend mine for a while because I like it smooth like restaurant salsa.
- Let refrigerate for an hour to marinate. This salsa is great the first day but even better for days afterwards.