Recipe by L DJ
Light and airy, these are the best biscuits I've ever eaten. I am posting because I never want to lose it. Prep times includes rise time.
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups flour, sift, then measure
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In small warm bowl, mix sugar with the water, add yeast and stir to dissolve.
- Sift flour again with baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening to fine crumb stage with pastry blender.
- Add butter milk and yeast mixture, mix to a moderately stiff dough. Knead lightly for a few seconds.
- Roll to 1/2-inch thickness cut into biscuits using 2 1/4-inch biscuit cutter.
- Arrange on greased baking pans so biscuits barely touch each other, prick tops with fork and brush with melted butter.
- Let rise in warm place until almost double in size, about 30-40 minutes.
- Bake in 425° oven 10-15 minutes.