Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 mins
My mom's husband always makes the pies for the holidays and this is the only crust he will use. Even I can make a beautiful pie with this one.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups Crisco
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons whole milk
- With pastry blender combine flour, salt& Crisco until mixture resembles course meal.
- In small bowel mix egg, vinegar& milk.
- Add to flour mixture and mix only until dough holds together in a ball.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Roll out on floured wax paper or pastry cloth.
- Turn onto lightly greased pie plate.
- Trim to a 1 inch overhang and flute edge.
- To bake, punch all over with fork and bake at 400 for 11 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Here's a pie crust that really works for me! After making the two, I did freeze one & finished the other to use with a dark chocolate pie recipe I'd tagged! Thanks for an enjoyable crust-making experience ~ I needed that! AND, this recipe is definitely a keeper! [Made & reviewed as my thanks to the photographer in the Help a Camera-less Chef Game #5]
The taste is very good. But I had so much trouble to roll it. I had to add a lot of flour and even with that, it wouldn't roll. So I had to put it in the pie plate with my fingers after trying to roll it about 5 times. Thanks for posting Nimz :) Made for 123 hit wonders.
This is a great crust. Quick and easy to make with a nice flavour and is crisp and tender. What a beautiful start to my apple pie. I'll be making this again often. Thanks so much for sharing ~Nimz~