Recipe by E.A.
Found this in Martha Stewart Living two years ago. The best pie crust recipe I've found yet!!! The vinegar in the crust makes it very tender.
Top Review by Gay Gilmore
I have previously favored a half butter half shortening recipe for the mix between flakey and flavor, but I now think this is the better recipe. You could really taste the butter with no sacrifice in flakes! We used this recipe for Pumpkin Praline Pie #3567 on Thanksgiving and then for the top of the Chicken (Turkey) Pot Pie recipe #145902 that we made with leftovers. Worked flawlessly in both recipes. REMEMBER TO CHILL THE BUTTER AND THE SHORTENING. It is critical ;-) This is our new family pie crust recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 4 tablespoons shortening, chilled
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour, salt,and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, pulse a few times to combine.
- Add butter and shortening to the flour mixture, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds.
- With the machine running, add vinegar and 3 tablespoons ice water in a slow, stady stream through the feed tube of food processor until dough holds together.
- Do not process for more than 30 seconds.
- Divide dough in half, and turn each half out onto a piece of plastic wrap.
- Press each half into a flattened circle, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.