Recipe by Caroline Cooks
This recipe comes from a lot of testing for just the right flavor. Contains sweet pickle relish! It really adds to the taste. It's an old family favorite.
Top Review by SGpratt
This is a fabulous recipe! I had never made baked beans before (really any bean dish), but thought I would give this one a try. After one false start in preparing dried beans, I made this recipe starting with dried kidney beans. This was truly one of the best dishes I've tasted, let along made. The flavor was delicious. I omitted the bacon and will probably do so again, but I don't think it diminished the taste. This is a recipe you truly have to taste to really understand ~ words can't do it justice! Thanks for posting!
- 1 (32 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (or molasses)
- 1 beef bouillon cube, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- 3 slices bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray casserole dish lightly with cooking oil.
- In mixing bowl, combine beans, 1/2 cup catsup, mustard, bouillon, relish, onion, green pepper and brown sugar/molasses.
- Mix well.
- Add black pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste.
- Pour into casserole and top with remaining ketchup and bacon slices.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove foil and increase oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes.