Recipe by AndreaB
This is a simple but warming soup which tastes so good you will never want tinned again! I learned it at school and have cooked it for years, including at sea for 15 hungry sailors who loved it! This soup is hard to get wrong. Don't skimp on the flour and add a little extra milk if it's too thick. Make sure the flour is all incorporated before adding liquid. Use closed cup, button, chestnut, oyster or mixed mushrooms. Using dark gilled or flat mushrooms will make a darker soup.
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 pint whole milk
- fresh ground salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- dice onion small.
- clean and halve mushrooms.
- fry onion in the butter and oil for 2 minutes.
- add mushrooms for a further 4 minutes.
- sprinkle flour into pan and stir well to remove lumps.
- add half of the stock.
- stir and scrape cooked flour off bottom until thickening.
- add half the milk stirring all the time.
- continue to add stock and milk in turn until all added.
- adjust seasoning and add plenty of pepper.
- simmer very gently for 20 minutes.