Shannon Holmes's Note:
These are so good. This is based on a recipe from Bryanna Clark Grogan and learning about substitutions on flours and cocoa from Chef Deborah.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet are usually vegan, check ingredients) or 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (semi-sweet are usually vegan, check ingredients)
- 3/4 cup double brewed millstone chocolate velvet coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup soymilk (additional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Oil 6 large or 12 small muffin cups.
- 3Mix flours, cornstarch, cocoa, baking powder, salt, baking soda and dark chocolate chips together in a large bowl.
- 4Place coffee, sugar, applesauce, oil, soy milk, vinegar and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth or place in a large bowl and blend with immersion blender.
- 5Add wet ingredients to dry.
- 6Stir, adding more soy milk to make it a thinner batter, you don't want it to be stiff.
- 7Divide evenly among muffin cups, bake in oven for 20 minutes or until the toothpick test proves true.
- 8Place on cooling rack, cover with a towel and remove after 5 minutes.
- 9Cool completely.
- 10Place in paper towel lined Tupperware, freeze after 1-2 days wrapped tightly in plastic.
- 11Mark breaks these up and puts them in ice cream.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Mocha Chocolate Chip Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 394.5
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 386.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 8.2 g