Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are so good. This is based on a recipe from Bryanna Clark Grogan and learning about substitutions on flours and cocoa from Chef Deborah.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet are usually vegan, check ingredients) or 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (semi-sweet are usually vegan, check ingredients)
- 3⁄4 cup double brewed millstone chocolate velvet coffee
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (additional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil 6 large or 12 small muffin cups.
- Mix flours, cornstarch, cocoa, baking powder, salt, baking soda and dark chocolate chips together in a large bowl.
- Place coffee, sugar, applesauce, oil, soy milk, vinegar and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth or place in a large bowl and blend with immersion blender.
- Add wet ingredients to dry.
- Stir, adding more soy milk to make it a thinner batter, you don't want it to be stiff.
- Divide evenly among muffin cups, bake in oven for 20 minutes or until the toothpick test proves true.
- Place on cooling rack, cover with a towel and remove after 5 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Place in paper towel lined Tupperware, freeze after 1-2 days wrapped tightly in plastic.
- Mark breaks these up and puts them in ice cream.
These were easy enough. But the cornstarch isn't in the directions. I simply added it with the rest of the dry in step 3. When they were baking, they smelled SO good. They all baked up kinda pointy on the top. And the bottom is crunchy. The texture, inside, is quite dense. Making them more like a cupcake than a muffin. The flavour is pretty good. Not too strong. They still taste good, they just have a strange texture combination. I also got 12 large AND 12 small muffins out of this recipe.