Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from my cookbook, True Southern Family Recipes, currently out-of-print. Even people who don't like meatloaf like this recipe.
- 2 lbs ground venison
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato-based barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon morton nature seasoning or 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick oatmeal (not instant)
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 eggs or 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ (for Vitamin E only) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (for nutritional value only) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup bull eye barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray glass or metal baking pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Place all ingredients, except venison, in large bowl and mix well.
- Add the venison and mix well.
- Form into two loaves and place them in baking dish.
- With your fingers or handle of wooden spoon, make about 10-12 holes in top of meatloaf.
- Pour the sauce over the top of meatloaf, letting some sauce run into the holes and a little run down the side of the meat loaf.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until meat is browned on the outside.
- Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- This is equally good made with lean ground beef.