Recipe by B & B Adams
Top Review by jamessantacroce
My Wife and helper, with 60 years cooking experiance, added a glove of crushed garlic, used a teaspoon of both thyme and basil, changed the topping to 1/4 cup brown sugar and (1) cup of tomato sauce. Absolutly the best meatloaf I have ever tasted and my wife will replace her old tried a true recipe with this one. GREAT! ..Jim
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 slices bread, torn into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 4 ounces cheddar cheese or 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil (optional) or 1 teaspoon thyme (optional) or 1 teaspoon sage (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Add milk and bread; let stand a few minutes or until the bread absorbs the liquid.
- Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese, herbs and seasonings.
- Add beef; mix well.
- In a shallow baking pan, shape beef mixture into a 7 1/2 inches x 3 1/2-in. x 2 1/2-in. loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spoon some of the topping over meat loaf.
- Bake for about 30 minutes longer or until no pink remains, occasionally spooning some of the remaining topping over loaf.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.