Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Make and share this Best Ever Meatloaf recipe from Food.com.
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 slices bread, torn into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 4 ounces cheddar cheese or 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil (optional) or 1 teaspoon thyme (optional) or 1 teaspoon sage (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Add milk and bread; let stand a few minutes or until the bread absorbs the liquid.
- Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese, herbs and seasonings.
- Add beef; mix well.
- In a shallow baking pan, shape beef mixture into a 7 1/2 inches x 3 1/2-in. x 2 1/2-in. loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spoon some of the topping over meat loaf.
- Bake for about 30 minutes longer or until no pink remains, occasionally spooning some of the remaining topping over loaf.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
My Wife and helper, with 60 years cooking experiance, added a glove of crushed garlic, used a teaspoon of both thyme and basil, changed the topping to 1/4 cup brown sugar and (1) cup of tomato sauce. Absolutly the best meatloaf I have ever tasted and my wife will replace her old tried a true recipe with this one. GREAT! ..Jim
this was some stunning meatloaf. i omitted the cheese from this recipe, but it still came out flavorful, moist and yummy.
Add me to the list of reviewers who loved this recipe. Flavorful and moist - fantastic! The sauce was a bit sweet for our taste, and I will cut the brown sugar in half the next time. I made this meatloaf as a Halloween dinner. I used a hand-shaped mold then inverted the meatloaf onto a baking sheet. The fingernails were slices of onion. The wrist bone was a peeled onion, with enough layers removed so the "bone" was proportional to the hand. I topped the meatloaf with sauce, then added sliced provolone cheese to create a burned skin effect. To serve, I piped mashed cauliflower between the fingers and surrounding the hand. Totally gross, and so cool!