Recipe by Canadiangirl #3
I have been making this meatloaf for years now and we all love it. You'll find quite a bit of grease in the bottom of your loaf pan, even when using lean ground beef. When I first started making this meatloaf, I would end up pouring off most of the sauce (the best part!) when draining the fat, so now I bake the meatloaf first without the sauce, then drain off the fat, then spread the sauce on top and return it to the oven for about 5-10 more minutes. I also usually double the ingredients for the sauce so that I have some sauce to serve with the leftovers (if you manage to have any!). Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine ketchup, tomato juice, salt, black and red pepper, eggs, bread crumbs, onions, and mustard. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Add ground beef. Mix gently but thoroughly.
- Line a 9 x 5=inch loaf pan with foil. Press in beef mixture.
- Bake at 400°F for about 45 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking, combine the topping ingredients in a separate bowl, mixing well.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven after 45 minutes and drain off the fat.
- Spread topping over the meatloaf and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- Rest meatloaf 5 minutes before serving.