Recipe by Brian Holley
I know there are plenty of recipes for meatloaf here on Zaar, but, until you try this one you won't know what you are missing.The use of ginger and cinnamon give a lift to the meat. Serve with a sauce of mushrooms in soy sauce and cream. Also makes great sandwich filling.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Another one of your winners, Brian! As I can't eat meatloaf with tomato in it and wanted something tastier than boring German False Hare, I found this one and adapted it a bit to my needs. I. e. instead of onion I used shallot and instead of garlic I used ramsons, and the sauce I made was of oyster mushrooms and soy cream. But I don't think that it affected the end result too much - this is the best meatloaf I've ever eaten!! Thanks so much for posting!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 slices bread, crumbed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce butter
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 ounces single cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a loaf tin.
- Mix the first ten ingredients together.
- Fill the loaf tin with the mixture.
- Place in preheated oven at 180c and cook for 1 1/4 hours.
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms till just golden, add the soy sauce and stir in the cream.
- Baste the meatloaf with some of the sauce after 1 hour of cooking.
- Turn the loaf out of the tin and pour the warm sauce over it. Serve.