Recipe by L-Burden
This is a recipe I found in a Gooseberry Patch cookbook. I've modified the recipe a bit. Even my husband who doesn't particularly like meatloaf LOVED it. It can be frozen too!
Top Review by DoubleA's Mom
All in all this was a good meatloaf recipe with great flavor. I used 1/2 cup of very finely diced carrots in lieu of the red pepper, but did use the green pepper, onion and garlic as called for. The end result unfortunately came out kind of mushy for my taste, so I think next time I will cut back considerably on the milk, add extra breadcrumbs and maybe use only one egg. Thanks for a good base!!
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup, divided
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, plus
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large non-stick skillet.
- Add onion, pepper, and garlic.
- Cook Uncovered until soft.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs with fork in large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup ketchup, milk, Worcestershire sauce, and salt.
- Add onion mixture, meat, and bread crumbs.
- Mix until all ingredients are well blended.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a 9x5-inch pan.
- Spoon on remaining ketchup.
- Bake at 375°F for one hour and 15 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 155°F.
- Let stand about 15 minutes before slicing.