Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the ULTIMATE comfort food in my book. I could eat this everyday for the rest of my life.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- In a large stockpot, boil potatoes with salt until tender--about 15 minutes.
- Drain water and add remaining ingredients.
- Mash until smooth (I like to leave at least a few lumps, call me weird).
- Serve with gravy or butter.
- Note: You can easily turn this recipe into garlic mashed potatoes by adding 3 cloves roasted garlic when you mash.
- For another tasty variation, try adding shredded cheddar and cooked broccoli pieces.
This is the perfect recipe for mashed potatoes! I have adopted this recipe as my standard and will never go back to just using plain old butter and milk. The sour cream makes a big difference in the creamy texture....(I like just a few lumps, too!) Excellent recipe, Canarygirl!
these are awesome potatoes! they are so good you don't need any gravy. i did end up using a whole stick of butter (8 tablespoons) and almost 1 teaspoon of kosher salt but other than that i followed the recipe. once you make mashed potatoes this way you won't want to go back. the sour cream makes them very creamy and gives them a slight tang. delish!
Extremely yummy! I am not good at making homemade mashed potatoes, I usually do instant, however, these came out the perfect consistency and the whole family loved them. One thing I would suggest, and of course this is a matter of taste: In my opinion they needed salt and pepper, in fact I added at least a teaspoon of salt when I was mashing and they still needed more at the table. But, I am VERY happy to have a recipe that comes out this good and I will be making homemade mashed potatoes more often! Thanks!