Recipe by Steve P.
Best Macaroons I ever tasted.
Top Review by PanNan
These taste good. The hint of almond flavor was nice. Despite about 12 minutes of beating until stiff peaks formed, the meringue-like cookies spread out quite a bit and were a little gummy/sticky. Not sure if that's what they were supposed to be like.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached flour (at Passover potato starch or matzo cake meal can be substitued in equal quantity for the flour)
- 3 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut (If you can only find sweetened coconut, reduce the sugar in the recipe to 1/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Beat egg whites until starting to expand but still soft.
- Add sugar, honey, and extracts.
- Beat at high speed until very stiff peaks form, about 8-10 minutes.
- Fold in flour and coconut by hand.
- Drop on well buttered baking sheets by heaping teaspoonfuls, or use a pastry bag with a#2 star tip.
- Bake at 375ºF for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- (a) For cocomacs, add 1 additional tablespoon of honey to egg white.
- Then fold in 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa with the flour.
- (b) Dip the bottom of cooled macaroons in melted semisweet chocolate, drying upside down on a rack.
- (c) Sandwich two dipped macaroons together to make a "macwich".