This is a family recipe, and an all time favorite of mine. Some people like to substitute cheddar cheese, but I don't like it myself. For me it's American cheese or no Mac & Cheese. The amount of cheese is an estimate, I just grate enough until I think it is cheesy enough. Blocks of American cheese is hard to find for me, so I've used sliced American cheese and have not had a problem. I hope you enjoy!
- Bring water to boil in a sauce pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt & macaroni to pan and stir.
- When water boils again, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes, drain macaroni.
- Butter or coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cover the casserole dish with a layer of macaroni.
- Add a layer of grated American cheese.
- Salt and pepper to lightly cover layer, add a small amount of butter.
- Repeat layering procedure, end with a layer of cheese.
- Beat one egg, add 1 1/4 cup milk and stir together. Pour egg/milk mixture over macaroni & cheese. If necessary, add enough milk to bring the milk level with 3/4-inch of top of macaroni & cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, uncovered.