1/1 Photo of Best Ever Macaroni & Cheese
This is a family recipe, and an all time favorite of mine. Some people like to substitute cheddar cheese, but I don't like it myself. For me it's American cheese or no Mac & Cheese. The amount of cheese is an estimate, I just grate enough until I think it is cheesy enough. Blocks of American cheese is hard to find for me, so I've used sliced American cheese and have not had a problem. I hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring water to boil in a sauce pan.
- 2Add 1 teaspoon of salt & macaroni to pan and stir.
- 3When water boils again, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes, drain macaroni.
- 4Butter or coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- 5Cover the casserole dish with a layer of macaroni.
- 6Add a layer of grated American cheese.
- 7Salt and pepper to lightly cover layer, add a small amount of butter.
- 8Repeat layering procedure, end with a layer of cheese.
- 9Beat one egg, add 1 1/4 cup milk and stir together. Pour egg/milk mixture over macaroni & cheese. If necessary, add enough milk to bring the milk level with 3/4-inch of top of macaroni & cheese.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, uncovered.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.1
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 57.1 mg
- Sodium 651.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: