Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a terribly sinful dish, but worth the splurge.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 10 ounces cheddar cheese, Divided
- 10 ounces monterey jack cheese, Divided
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook noodles until semi soft, They will continue cooking in oven.
- In a medium size pot, melt butter over low heat.
- After butter is melted, slowly add in flour.
- Whisk flour and butter until you get a smooth consistency.
- Slowly add Half&Half while whisking.
- Cook over low heat until thick stirring to avoid sticking.
- Add in 8oz of cheddar and 8 oz of Monterey Jack cheese and stir with wooden spoon until melted.
- Spray 9x13'' dish with cooking spray.
- Poor in noodles then cover with sauce.
- Stir until well blended.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cook for 20-30 minutes. Until bubbly and top browns slightly.
This was very simple to make, and I liked the suggestion of partially cooking the macaroni and letting it finish cooking while it baked. This produced a nice firm noodle, instead of the typical mushy ones. Although this is very rich, I kept wishing there was something else added. Maybe next time I will add some chopped ham or tomato just for a little more oomph. I did season it with black pepper. Thanks for posting this. Made for Spring PAC 2009.