1/2 Photos of Best Ever Macaroni and Cheese
1 hr 30 mins
Perfect for a cold winter's night, this macaroni and cheese is a far cry from the supermarket variety. Rich and creamy with a slight kick, it is rounded off with the topping's crunch. I like to use a variety of cheeses in this. I have used bleu, gouda, gruyere, swiss, cheddar, smoked cheeses, gouda, and others, all with fabulous results. This recipe freezes wonderfully and is just as delicious when reheated in the microwave. 6 cups of cheese approximately equals 2 - 2.25 lbs. Feel free to substitute turkey bacon, or use butter (6 TBS) instead of bacon grease.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g macaroni
- 340.19 g bacon
- 88.74 ml flour
- 9.85 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml sweet paprika
- 2.46 ml smoked paprika
- 4.92 ml mustard powder
- 4.92 ml cayenne pepper
- 0.25 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml hot sauce
- 1182.95 ml milk
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1419.54 ml cheese, grated
- 236.59-473.18 ml Ritz cracker, crushed
- 1Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- 2Grease a deep 3-quart baking dish and set aside.
- 3Cook bacon until crispy, reserving the grease.
- 4Cook macaroni according to package instructions for al dente.
- 5Drain and set aside.
- 6Crumble the bacon into the crushed crackers and add 1 cup of the grated cheese.
- 7Pulse in a food processor and set aside.
- 8Measure 6 tbs of bacon grease and heat in a large saucepan until bubbling.
- 9Add flour all at once, whisking until incorporated.
- 10Add the onion powder, both paprikas, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper.
- 11Continue to whisk for another 1-2 minutes.
- 12Slowly whisk in the milk and evaporated milk.
- 13Whisk continuously on medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly.
- 14Lower the temperature to a simmer.
- 15Add the worcestershire, nutmeg, and hot sauce.
- 16Stir in the remaining 5 cups of grated cheese.
- 17Stir over low heat until the cheeses are melted.
- 18Beat the two eggs in a small bowl.
- 19Add about a cup of the cheese sauce mixture to the eggs, and whisk rapidly.
- 20Whisk the egg mixture back into the pot.
- 21Stir the cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce mixture. It will be very loose; the macaroni will absorb excess liquid as it bakes.
- 22Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- 23Top with the cracker-bacon-cheese mixture.
- 24Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the middle is set.
- 25Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.3
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 130.6 mg
- Sodium 1052.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 31.4 g