Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food at its best! Adapted this from a Land O Lakes recipe.
Make and share this Best Ever Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oven to 350°F Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine in saucepan until sizzling; stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth and bubbly (1 minute).
- Add milk, salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg. Continue cooking, stirring
- occasionally, until sauce is thickened (3 to 4 minutes).
- Stir in cooked macaroni and cheese. Spoon into 2-quart casserole.
- Stir together all remaining ingredients in small bowl; sprinkle over macaroni.
- and cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and golden brown.
- TIP: for a gourmet flavor, stir in 3 ounces cubed cream cheese and 1.
- teaspoon Dijon mustard with the milk.
This is good -- used more cheese than called for (can't have too much cheese!). Used shredded cheese instead of cubed just because that is what I had and it worked great -- melted nicely.
This mac and cheese has good flavour. I used whole wheat pasta and followed the recipe as written. For some reason the cubed cheese didn't melt into the casserole, even the next day when I reheated it. The cheese stayed as little cheese chunks throughout. Next time I think I'll add the cheese to the milk mixture so as to make a cheese sauce before adding it to the cooked pasta.
so so good (i omitted the breadcrumbs and it was still delicious) i did everything fat free (milk, cheese, etc.) and did extra calclium enriched noodles. Super healthy and wayy better than the boxed version!