- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups light cheddar cheese, cubed 1/2 inch
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine in saucepan until sizzling; stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth and bubbly (1 minute).
- Add milk, salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg. Continue cooking, stirring
- occasionally, until sauce is thickened (3 to 4 minutes).
- Stir in cooked macaroni and cheese. Spoon into 2-quart casserole.
- Stir together all remaining ingredients in small bowl; sprinkle over macaroni.
- and cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and golden brown.
- TIP: for a gourmet flavor, stir in 3 ounces cubed cream cheese and 1.
- teaspoon Dijon mustard with the milk.