Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
On ABC this morning( Feb. 29th) the winner of the Mac and Cheese challenge Emeril had going prepared this dish! Everyone raved and I thought that for those of you that are lovers of this dish. (who isn't? :-)) Would like the recipe
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta or 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb applewood smoked bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (5 slices)
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut top of garlic, sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in foil and roast about 45 minute until soft. unwrap and cool. Remove the garlic paste and mash with a fork. (this will be added to the sauce).
- Cook bacon until crisp. drain and crumble. Reserve 1 Tbs. bacon fat.
- Combine bread crumbs, bacon, Parmesan cheese and 2T melted butter. Set aside.
- Saute shallots in reserved bacon fat until soft. Add remaining 6 T butter.
- Add flour and cook for a couple of minutes.( A whisk works best.).
- Add roasted garlic and slowly stir in the milk. Slowly bring to a boil until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, nutmeg, Gruyere and cheddar. stir until cheese is melted. Taste to check for more salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked pasta. Pour into a baking dish and cover top with "The Topping.".
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake 15 minute at 375°F Uncover and bake until sauce bubbles and topping has browned.
A little disappointed. It wasn't as cheesy as I like and I could taste the flour more than the cheese. It was very rich however. It is the first thing I have made for Thanksgiving dinner that nobody asked for the recipe.