1 hr 10 mins
Koechin (Chef)'s Note:
On ABC this morning( Feb. 29th) the winner of the Mac and Cheese challenge Emeril had going prepared this dish! Everyone raved and I thought that for those of you that are lovers of this dish. (who isn't? :-)) Would like the recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta or 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb applewood smoked bacon
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (5 slices)
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Cut top of garlic, sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in foil and roast about 45 minute until soft. unwrap and cool. Remove the garlic paste and mash with a fork. (this will be added to the sauce).
- 3Cook bacon until crisp. drain and crumble. Reserve 1 Tbs. bacon fat.
- 5Combine bread crumbs, bacon, Parmesan cheese and 2T melted butter. Set aside.
- 6Saute shallots in reserved bacon fat until soft. Add remaining 6 T butter.
- 7Add flour and cook for a couple of minutes.( A whisk works best.).
- 8Add roasted garlic and slowly stir in the milk. Slowly bring to a boil until thickened.
- 9Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, nutmeg, Gruyere and cheddar. stir until cheese is melted. Taste to check for more salt and pepper.
- 10Stir in the cooked pasta. Pour into a baking dish and cover top with "The Topping.".
- 11Cover baking dish with foil and bake 15 minute at 375°F Uncover and bake until sauce bubbles and topping has browned.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever"mac and Cheese"! Emeril's Challenge Winner!
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.0
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 87.1 mg
- Sodium 793.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 26.1 g