1 hr 15 mins
Khandi Howard's Note:
This is the best lasagna that I've eaten. Way better than what you can get in a restaurant. This recipe is to use the sauce "Khandi's Spaghetti Sauce". It makes gallons, or you can size down the recipe to make less. But the sauce is the basis - it must be meaty and spicey to get the full effect. I buy those plastic 8 inch square pans to make these in, and then freeze. You can cook these from frozen, or thaw overnight to decrease cooking time. I've also made this up in 2 of those huge aluminum roasting pans with handles. It fed about 30 people each and had to cook about 2-2 1/2 hours. The basis for this lasagna is the sauce. Depending on how much you want to make is how much cheese mixture to mix up. I usually do this from feel, so amounts are approximate. One recipe of sauce makes about 8 small lasagnas, 4-5 larger (8X13") lasagnas, or 2 giant roasting pan size lasagnas depending on layering. (Directions for 1 lasagna at bottom.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix up cheeses reserving about 4 cups to top lasagna.
- 2Add eggs and Italian seasoning.
- 3I do this with in two batches.
- 4Now you are ready to assemble lasagna.
- 5Pour small amount of sauce in bottom of pan – just enough to cover.
- 6Layer noodles over sauce.
- 7Spoon cheese mixture as evenly as you can over noodles and smooth with spoon.
- 8Layer noodles over cheese – then pour on sauce to cover.
- 9Repeat with noodles, cheese, noodles, sauce again and then top with cheese.
- 10Then: I cover loosely with foil to prevent cheese from over browning.
- 11Bake in 350°F oven until bubbly, removing foil for last 20 minutes or so.
- 12Or prepare for freezing by cooling, covering with saran wrap then freezer lid.
- 13Place in freezer.
- 14Cook the same. Expect the frozen lasagnas to take about 1 1/2 hours to cook if in a small pan.
- 15***I always cook my noodles, I prefer the texture of precooked noodles and though it is not necessary I think that uncooked noodles have a slimy texture in the lasagna.
- 17You can cook less at a time.
- 18For one 8X13 in lasagna I’d start with about 1 lbs of mozzarella, ½ pound of Parmesan, and one container (1 lb) of ricotta cheese and 1 egg with 1 T of seasoning.
- 19You’ll probably need about 9 –12 noodles and about 7 – 8 cups of sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1723.5
- Calories from Fat 983
- Total Fat 109.2 g
- Saturated Fat 64.7 g
- Cholesterol 498.1 mg
- Sodium 3345.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 124.4 g