Recipe by RedhairMac
Yikes, another lasagna recipe you say? I love all the variations of this Italian classic, but this one is the best I've ever had. I think it's originally from the Taste of Home cookbook series, but I've tweaked it to my family's taste...and hopefully yours too. Note: Allow about 2 hours and 40 minutes from kitchen to table because the sauce needs to simmer for 1 hour and then the lasagna, once assembled, needs to cook for 50-70 minutes and rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons capers (they add so much flavor) (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 24 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 lb no-boil lasagna noodles
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 4 -6 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (how much you use is your preference)
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (white and light green sections only)
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can black olives, sliced, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown beef and sausage together over medium heat until crumbly and no longer pink. Drain well.
- To meat, add tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning, capers, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer uncovered for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add parsley. Fold in cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate until sauce is done.
- Spray the bottom of a 9"x13" pan with non-stick spray. Spread about 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- Place 1/3 of the noodles on top of the meat sauce, overlapping as needed to cover all the sauce.
- On top of the noodles, layer the provolone cheese slices, 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture and about 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Place another 1/3 of the noodles on top.
- Layer approximately 2 cups meat sauce, the remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1-2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella.
- If desired, garnish with black olives and green onions scattered on top.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes.
- Uncover, bake 10-20 minutes longer, just until the cheese reaches a golden doneness.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Leftovers freeze well.