2 hrs 15 mins
This is my own creation and I make it every week, much to the delight of my DH. It has the richest, yummiest flavor and is really hearty. Your family will love it! We always eat this Friday night, so I make it Thursday evening, chill it, and then skim the hardened fat off the soup before serving it. The remaining broth is so light and low-fat, it's amazing! Please...PLEASE review the recipe if you try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken carcasses (bones from entire chicken)
- 1 -2 onion, cut into 1/8ths
- 2 leeks, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots (or shredded)
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced into around 4 pieces
- 2 cups white wine (cooking wine is fine)
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper (black or white)
- 3 -5 inches fresh ginger, peeled and cubed (thumb size pieces)
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, stems removed
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh dill
- 4 -6 scallions, chopped into 'largish' pieces (long green onions)
- 1Place all ingredients into a very large soup pot.
- 2Fill pot with water, almost to the top and bring to a boil.
- 3Skim off any scum once the soup boils.(Optional).
- 4Allow to boil for 1 hour, before tasting and adjusting seasoning, if necessary.
- 5Boil for an additional 30-45 minutes, before removing bones and setting them aside. You can strip the bones of the chicken at this time, or wait until later.
- 6Continue boiling the soup on a low simmer for anywhere between 45 minute- 3hours. A longer, slower boil will yield a very nice, rich flavor.
- 7Once the bones have cooled off, peel and pick all the chicken pieces off the bones and put the chicken into the pot of soup. Discard the bones.
- 8I sometimes make this soup and then transfer it into the crockpot to simmer on 'low' for up to 24 hours (we observe the Sabbath, so this ensures we get a hot soup for lunch). The slowly simmered broth is so rich and delicious.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best-Ever Hearty Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.7
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 49.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken soup powder