Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Devil's food cake made over and over until perfection. Made simple enough with healthier ingredients than the traditional way. You can decorate it as desired. This one was for my son's birthday party. Try this recipe, you will be surprise how good it is.
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% buttermilk
- 4 ounces 60% cacao chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 (8 ounce) reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 ounces Cool Whip Lite
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (maybe a little bit more)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a double boiler melt 1 cup of buttermilk and chocolate chips. Let it cool.
- Mix eggs, applesauce, sugar, remaining buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Sift flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar into a bowl. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ones and combine.
- Add melted chocolate stirring at the same time as you incorporate the melted chocolate into the bowl.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch spring from pan and add cake butter into the pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes depending on the oven. Cool in pan before frosting.
- For the frosting, combine cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer. Fold whip cream and frost cake. Decorate as desired.