Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just the best ever french onion dip!
- 2 large onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (red pepper)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, optional
- In a medium saute' pan, heated over medium heat, add oil and onions.
- Caramelize the onions in oil; they will be completely browned and be reduced in size by about half.
- This will take about 30 minutes, stir occasionally Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together all the rest of the ingriedents After the onions are caramelized, remove them from heat and cool them (I never can wait to cool them, but they really should be because the dip will not be as thick and creamy if they are not) Stir the onions into the sour cream mixture; let chill for atleast 8 hours before serving.
Not very good. I made this last evening to serve guests tonight. This morning I dumped it and will need to find something else. Don't waste your time.
Very good dip. Was very popular when I served it. Many people asked for the recipe. Very easy to make. Yummy!