Recipe by Sam Saguaro
These are by far, the best egg rolls I've ever had or made. I've been making these since the early 70's and have not found any other recipe that even comes close.
Top Review by Kathy!!
These egg rolls had a fresher taste than my regular recipe. I think it is because the vegetables are not cooked ahead of time. These were great. I did not like working with the won ton wrappers, they are too small---egg roll wrappers are much better. I used chicken and also added some shredded carrot. I will be replacing my recipe with this one. Thanks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg (or accent) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cups bean sprouts, chopped
- 2 cups celery, shredded
- 1 medium yellow onion, shredded
- 1⁄4 lb cooked pork, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and referate one to three hours.
- Drain extra liquid from mixture and place a tablespoon of filling on wrapper (have wrapper on counter top with one point towards you.) Roll away from you to half way and fold ends in, continue rolling sealing the end with a little water and cornstarch mixture.
- Fry in a skillet with 1/2 inch cooking oil (or you can deep fry) until golden brown on all sides.
- Don't be afraid to experment, substitute shredded chicken for port, add bamboo shoots and/or mushrooms, and yes you can add shredded cabage if you must.