Recipe by CookbookCarrie
Boy, these bring back my childhood. I used to help mom make these every summer. My favorite part was the pickled piece of garlic in the bottom of the jar. These are definately worth the wait! Cook time is sittin time!
- pickling cucumber
- 16 cups water
- 1 cup canning salt
- 6 cups vinegar
- 6 heads fresh dill, divided
- 3 teaspoons alum, divided
- 6 cloves peeled garlic, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash cucumbers and pack in sterilized quart jars with 1 fresh head of dill, 1/2 tsp powdered alum, and 1 garlic clove.
- Use 2 garlic cloves if they are small.
- Bring water, salt, and vinegar to a boil and pour immediately in jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Seal with sterile lids and let standin canner of boiling water, (but dont boil them) until cool.
- Let them cure for 6 weeks before using.