Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Date bars are so good! This recipe is from an old cookbook of my mom's,(McCall's or Betty Crocker) and is a fond memory of my childhood. The index card I'm copying it from is one of the most stained in my collection. So trust me! You'll love these!
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Quaker Oats (I never worry about whether they're quick cooking or not! I just dump 'em in!)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- For filling, combine all filling ingredients except for nuts in medium sized saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally til thickened.
- Stir in nuts.
- For base, sift together flour, soda and salt.
- Add oats and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Stir in butter.
- Mix til crumbly.
- Press 2/3 of mixture into greased 8" square pan.
- Spread filling evenly over flour mixture.
- Top with remaining mixture.
- Pack light.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool completely!(Very important).
- Cut into bars.
Made these today. Awful. Salty. Too much sugar. Nope, nope, nope. Wast of ingredients. This is most definitely NOT the recipe from any Betty Crocker cookbook. 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1 1/4 cup flour.