Recipe by Recipe Junkie
Date bars are so good! This recipe is from an old cookbook of my mom's,(McCall's or Betty Crocker) and is a fond memory of my childhood. The index card I'm copying it from is one of the most stained in my collection. So trust me! You'll love these!
Top Review by Adina K.
Made these today. Awful. Salty. Too much sugar. Nope, nope, nope. Wast of ingredients. This is most definitely NOT the recipe from any Betty Crocker cookbook. 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1 1/4 cup flour.
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Quaker Oats (I never worry about whether they're quick cooking or not! I just dump 'em in!)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling, combine all filling ingredients except for nuts in medium sized saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally til thickened.
- Stir in nuts.
- For base, sift together flour, soda and salt.
- Add oats and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Stir in butter.
- Mix til crumbly.
- Press 2/3 of mixture into greased 8" square pan.
- Spread filling evenly over flour mixture.
- Top with remaining mixture.
- Pack light.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool completely!(Very important).
- Cut into bars.