This is the way my MIL makes her hash brown casserole. It is certainly similar to most but I have found that it is hands down the absolute best. She always warned me not to stray from the specified ingredients and I must confess that I did and I hate to admit, she was right. This recipe is a favorite of both mine and dh's family gatherings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (27 ounce) boxes frozen hash brown patties (bagged or different brand doesn't taste the same trust me)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of potato soup (cream of mushroom or chicken doesn't work as well in this recipe)
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed Ritz cracker
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1Remove 2 patties from each box (4 total) and discard or save for another use.
- 2Completely thaw hash browns.
- 3Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 4Crumble patties and set aside.
- 5In a medium bowl combine soup, sour cream and cheese.
- 6Add crumbled hash browns to mixture.
- 7Pour mixture into a deep casserole dish.
- 8Add melted butter to crushed crackers tossing to coat making sure they are only slightly coated, not soggy.
- 9Sprinkle crushed crackers over casserole.
- 10Cover and bake 45-55 minutes until bubbly and top is starting to brown.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Cracker Barrel Hash Browns Casserole - Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.0
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 587.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 9.3 g