Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the way my MIL makes her hash brown casserole. It is certainly similar to most but I have found that it is hands down the absolute best. She always warned me not to stray from the specified ingredients and I must confess that I did and I hate to admit, she was right. This recipe is a favorite of both mine and dh's family gatherings.
- 2 (27 ounce) boxesfrozen hash brown patties (bagged or different brand doesn't taste the same trust me)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of potato soup (cream of mushroom or chicken doesn't work as well in this recipe)
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed Ritz cracker
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Remove 2 patties from each box (4 total) and discard or save for another use.
- Completely thaw hash browns.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Crumble patties and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine soup, sour cream and cheese.
- Add crumbled hash browns to mixture.
- Pour mixture into a deep casserole dish.
- Add melted butter to crushed crackers tossing to coat making sure they are only slightly coated, not soggy.
- Sprinkle crushed crackers over casserole.
- Cover and bake 45-55 minutes until bubbly and top is starting to brown.
not even close. most ingredients are wrong.
Served for 2007 Christmas dinner; and was it ever wonderful!! YES!Everyone wanted the recipe! Thank you ever so much for making this dinner delicious! (planned to take a photo with the left-over. NOT! None left!Next time.)
The cream of potato soup made this different from the other hash brown casseroles I've tried. Although it didn't remind me of Cracker Barrell I enjoyed the creamy texture and will definately make it again. Next time I will probably not add any additional salt.