Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
While futzing and fiddling with some extra collards I had languishing in the refrigerator, and thinking of some recent recipes I made, I tried this. Whoa! Yum! So, here it is; there is a sort of a sweet-and-sour thing going on.
- Trim the center ribs from the collards; wash well.
- Halve, stack, halve again, and cut into approximately 1/2" shreds.
- Peel, halve, and slice onion thinly.
- In very large pot, heat oil.
- Saute onion until caramelized.
- Add greens with their water; toss and cook until wilted.
- Strain mandarin oranges, reserving juice.
- Add orange juice to collards in pot.
- Lower heat and cover.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes until tender.
- Add vinegar and season with salt to taste.
- Cook just a few minutes more.
- Add mandarin oranges and toss until heated through.
What a different and delightful way to prepare collards! I used a red onion as that was what I had and the cider vinegar option. The recipe was reduced to 2 servings and made a wonderful side with pot roast. Made for Aussie Swap.