Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my own recipe for collard greens. Once I made them this way my husband won't let me cook them any other way. People who don't typically like greens like these. It is also good with turnips and mustards. I add some of the turnip root if I use turnips.
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 diced onion
- 2 smoked ham hocks (or shanks)
- 4 -6 bunches collard greens (or other greens)
- salt & pepper
- Heat broth.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- If there is not enough broth to cover greens, add more.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat& simmer for about 3 hours.
- Remove bay leaves.
Great flavor - loved it. I can't get Collard greens here so I used Chinese Cabbage - worked really well. I served it with Fried Okra & Jambalaya Thanks, great meal
Too salty. I'd recommend using the low sodium chicken broth.
Even my Kids liked this. I substituted some cut up bacon for the Ham as that is what I had. It came out Great. My son even asked for it again.