Recipe by Mrs Goodall
I've had lots of guacamole and this is truly the best. Of all the things I've cooked for guests, this recipe is is one of the best received! It's the bacon that makes the difference! The recipe is from The New Best Recipe cookbook. If you make guacomole ahead of time...*Guacamole can be covered with plastic wrap, pressed directly onto the surface of the mixture, and refrigerated up to 1 day. Remove the guacamole to room temperature, removing the plasctic wrap at the last moment, before serving.
- 3 avocados, preferably Haas and medium in size
- 6 slice bacon
- 4.92 ml bacon fat (reserved and rendered from cooking the bacon)
- 3 large scallions, sliced thin, about 1/3 cup
- 1 medium garlic clove, pressed (If you don't have a garlic press, just mince the garlic. I usually use 2 or three garlic cloves)
- 1 small jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 59.14 ml cilantro leaf, minced
- salt, to taste
- 2.46 ml ground cumin (more or less to taste)
- 29.58 ml lime juice (fresh squeezed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon on stovetop until crisp.
- Drain bacon and reserve at least 1 teaspoon of rendered bacon fat.
- When bacon is cool to touch, crumble it.
- Halve one of the avacados, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl.
- Mash the flesh lightly with the scallions, garlic, chile, cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cumin with the tines of a fork until just combined.
- Add the bacon crumbles and bacon fat and combine with avacado mixture.
- Halve, pit, and CUBE the remaining 2 avocados. Add the cubes to the bowl with the mashed avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle the lime juice over the diced avocado and mix the entire contents of the bowl lightly with a fork until combined but still chunky. Adjust the seasongs with salt if necessary,(you can add a bit more bacon fat if you like), and serve.