Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I've been making this recipe for ions now. It was a collaboration between myself and a friend about 25 years ago. I haven't found one I like better. I hope you will agree. These loaves also freeze very well. Note: You could try using applesauce for some or all of the oil in order to reduce the fat content. However....I haven't tried it myself.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 3 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini, grated with seeds removed
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, both sugars, oil and both extracts.
- Stir in grated zucchini. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- Add to the zucchini mixture, mixing well.
- Fold in nuts and raisins.
- Pour into greased loaf pans.
- Bake for approximately 75 minutes or until tested done with a toothpick.
Unfortunately this didn't turn out for us. We cooked it for 75 mins but this was too long. We have a NEF oven which is true to the correct temp. (AU 165 C) If you have a good oven it will only take 65 mins. Our cake was crusty on the outside. Nice but too dry.
O my goodness this chocolate cake is to die for. Ok, so I messed up a little because I used coarse salt instead of fine, but it still has a great flavour. I replaced the raisins with chocolate chips and took away 1/4 cup of white sugar in favour of a bit more cocoa powder because I looooove chocolate. For my nuts I used a combination of hazelnuts, almonds, and coconut. Will definitely try again!
Made this last night because a neighbor keeps giving my zucchini's and they are all like 3 lbs each so I have been making everything I can but I never make a cake so I thought I'd give it a try.
The only changes I made were with the cocoa which I used Dark cocoa and I didn't have maple extract so I used Almond as well as Almond nuts. I did sprinkle some powder sugar on top. It was very good, and my husband liked it so much I had to stop him for eating the entire thing. Thanks for sharing!