Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This chocolate pie is topped with 7 minute frosting. So much better than meringue !!! It is amazing. My Keno group ordered chocolate pie at a restaurant and they told us they used 7 minute frosting on top of the pie. I had to try it and it is delicious !!!
- 709.77 ml flour
- 236.59 ml Crisco shortening
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.32-133.10 ml cold water
CHOCOLATE PIE FILLING
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml flour
- 29.58 ml hershey's cocoa
- 473.18 ml whole milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 44.37 ml salted butter
- 6.16 ml vanilla
SEVEN MINUTE FROSTING (FOR TOPPING)
- 2 unbeaten egg whites
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml light corn syrup
- 0.25 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- FOR PIE CRUSTS (2 crusts).
- Mix flour & salt in mixing bowl.
- Using pastry blender, cut in Crisco until pea size.
- Add cold water and mix with fork.
- Form ball with hands. Don’t over mix.
- Roll out on floured pastry sheet.
- Bake at 375-400 until golden brown.
- FOR PIE FILLING (for 1 pie):.
- In large mixing bowl combine sugar, flour and cocoa.
- Add milk using wire whip and Mix well.
- Cook in microwave for 2 minutes and whip.
- Cook in microwave for another minute and whip.
- Add beaten eggs and cook for 2 minutes in microwave and whip. (You may need to cook for another minute or two until the right consistency.).
- After cooking add butter and vanilla.
- Cool for a few minutes and pour into cooked pie shell.
- Cover filling with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- When pie is chilled, top with 7 minute frosting (see recipe below).
- Use a kitchen torch to brown frosting.
- FOR SEVEN MINUTE FROSTING - TOPPING for 2 pies.
- Place all ingredients except vanilla in top of double boiler (not over heat).
- Beat 1 minute with electric mixer to blend.
- Place over boiling water and cook, beating constantly, till frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes (don't overcook).
- Remove from boiling water. Add vanilla, beat till spreading consistency, 2 minutes.
- Spread on chilled chocolate pies. Brown top with cooking torch and serve.