Recipe by asmilliken
I started with the basic back of the chip bag recipe and have modified it until I ended up with this final recipe. The cookies will be slightly chewy, but crisp on the edges for dunking. This recipe makes about 10 dozen cookies. I put the dough in wax paper and freeze in 1 dozen size rolls. Just remove the paper, slice the cookies, and bake straight from the freezer.
Top Review by monicaskinnyash
Fantastic! I totally forgot to add the shortening and they still turned out soo tastey. My whole family loved them. Thanks for the post! I will keep this recipe for sure!
- 5 cups oatmeal
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 24 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces milk chocolate candy bars, chopped fine
- 3 cups nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure oatmeal into food processor and blend until oatmeal is fine and powdery.
- Place oatmeal in large bowl.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir together with oatmeal until well blended.
- In a seperate large bowl (or stand mixer) cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in molasses and vanilla until well blended.
- Add in flour in four batches, stirring only until blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips, chocolate bar, and nuts.
- Scoop onto greased cookie sheet, 1 inch apart. Tbsp size scoop will make 120 cookies.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, depending on cookie size. Cookies will be crispy on edges, but look soft in center.
- This dough freezes well for up to 2 months in standard freezer.
- To freeze, scoop out 1 cup of dough onto a sheet of wax paper.
- Shape into 2 inch wide log and roll paper around dough.
- Secure edges of paper with rubber bands. It will look like a cookie dough Tootsie Roll.
- To bake, remove dough from wax paper, slice and bake. No thawing required.
- Baking time may need increased 2-3 minutes if dough is frozen.