Recipe by goneshoppin_83
I have won taste and presentation competitions with this cake and have been using this recipe for years. This cake is the BEST EVER!
Top Review by CharlotteDyson
This cake is beautiful. It is rich in flavour, but still light. The jam in the recipe keeps it lovely and moist. I took this to a charity cake morning and it was gone in no time and various people asked me for the recipe because it is so yummy. Recommend highly
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup seedless blackberry jam
- 1 1⁄4 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare round 20cm baking tin by buttering/oiling surface and the placing grease paper in base and sides.
- Using electric beaters, beat butter and sugar and sifted icing sugar in small mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs gradually beating thoroughly after each addition. Add essence and jam, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl. Using a metal spoon, fold in sifted flour, cocoa and soda alternately with milk. Stir until just combined and the mixture is almost smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin, smooth surface. Bake for 45 minutes in 180 degrees Celsius oven or until skewer comes out clean when inserted in centre. (Please do not overcook your cake as it will dry out!).