1/5 Photos of Best-Ever Chocolate Cake , Heritage Recipe
1 hr 5 mins
Origially featured on a 1952 Better Homes and Gardens cover, it's been perfected over the years. I hope you'll agree that this version is the moistest, richest, "chocolateiest" cake ever.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups milk
chocolate-sour cream frosting (see recipe below)
- 1Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, lightly grease bottoms of two 8x8x2-inch square or 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans.
- 3Line bottom of pans with waxed paper.
- 4Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans (or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan) and set aside.
- 5In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder; and salt; set aside.
- 6In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- 7Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined (3 to 4 minutes).
- 8Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- 9Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total).
- 10Beat in vanilla.
- 11Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition.
- 12Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more.
- 13Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan(s).
- 14Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes for 8-inch pans and the 13x9x2-inch pan, 30 to 35 minutes for 9-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 15Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans.
- 16Peel off waxed paper and cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- 17Or place 13x9x2-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly.
- 18CHOCOLATE-SOUR CREAM FROSTING:.
- 19In a large saucepan melt 1 12-ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/2 cup butter over low heat, stirring frequently.
- 20Cool for 5 minutes.
- 21Stir in 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream. Gradually add 4-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar (about 1 pound), beating with an electric mixer until smooth.
- 22This frosts tops and sides of two or three 8- or 9-inch cake layers (halve the recipe to frost the top of a 13x9x2-inch cake).
- 23Cover and store frosted cake in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best-Ever Chocolate Cake , Heritage Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 691.7
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 113.0 mg
- Sodium 444.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 62.6 g
- Protein 8.0 g