Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Made this cake from the Houston Chronicle for my daughter's 16th and it was a hit!
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups sour cream (I use light)
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened (2 sticks)
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar (to sprinkle on top, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350, and spray a 10-inch bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix and pudding in a mixer bowl.
- Add sour cream, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat on low speed until blended, scraping bowl as you go.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Batter will be quite thick (mousse-like).
- Pour into bundt pan and bake 1 hour.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- Top with powdered sugar if desired.
This is a really good cake. I had a little bit of a problem because I have an "el cheapo" mixer. There is a lot of batter and like Loren said in the description, it is thicker than regular cake batter. I also think my bundt pan was too small because I had left over batter. I think I put too much batter in the pan because the batter spilled over the sides while it was baking. I would recommend a large sized bundt pan and fairly heavy duty /sturdy mixer. The cake is really good and it is very moist and rich in flavor! I did not put anything on it. Thanks Loren!!