Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
WOW-that's all I can say about this recipe-I've had it for years and don't know where the original comes from. I've added nuts to the peanut butter and milk chocolate recipes. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds or 1⁄2 cup chopped white chocolate or 1⁄2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons mint liqueur
- In a medium pan over low heat combine butter and unsweetened chocolate.
- Stir until melted and well blended.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Add flour and mix well again.
- (these steps are important) Butter an 8 inch square pan.
- Pour in batter, spread evenly and sprinkle on topping of choice, if any.
- Bake in a 350 oven for about 25 min or until center springs back when gently touched.
- Cool on a wire rack, frost with fudge sauce or serve warm with ice cream and sauce poured over top.
- ---------Fudge Sauce--------.
- In a medium saucepan combine whipping cream and chocolate.
- Stir until melted, add vanilla and rum or mint liqueur.
- --------Rocky Road Brownies-------.
- Add 1 cup mini marshmallows to batter and sprinkle top with walnuts.
- Omit white sugar in preceding recipe, instead add 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar, omit unsweetened chocolate and increase flour to 1 cup.
- Top with 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- ------Peanut Butter Brownies--------.
- Make preceding recipe reducing butter to 5 Tbsp and omit unsweetened chocolate.
- Insteat add 3/4 cup peanut butter into melted butter.
- Reduce sugar to 1 cup and add 1/4 tsp baking powder.
- Sprinkle batter with 1/2 cup chopped peanuts.
- --------Milk Chocolate brownies---------.
- Make preceding recipe but decrease sugar to 3/4 cup.
- Omit unsweetened chocolate and use 2/3 cup chopped milk chocolate or milk chocolate baking bits.
- Increase flour to 3/4 cup.
- Sprinkle top with 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts or hazlenuts chopped.
- --------White Chocolate Brownies--------.
- Make preceding brownie recipe preceding, but decrease butter to 6 Tbsp.
- Omit unsweetened chocolate and use 1 3/4 cups chopped white chocolate or white chocolate baking bits.
- Not using any heat add 1 cup of the chocolate into melted butter.
- Decrease sugar to 1/2 cup and increase vanilla to 1 1/2 tsp.
- Sprinkle batter with remaining white chocolate and 1/2 cup chopped toffee candy.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- When I refer to preceding recipe I am talking about the original recipe posted-not the optional recipes.