Recipe by colleenfitzgerald_11117846
We all know that the best topping for cauliflower is cheese, now you can have both your comfort food and your veggie all in one bowl. Inspired by Jamie Oliver's cauliflower mac & cheese, this one is a creamy, vegetarian dish with hidden veggies for your kids!
- 2 cups cauliflower, fresh or frozen
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the cauliflower in simmering water until tender. Use a slotted spoon to remove.
- Cut the cauliflower florets into bite size pieces.
- Return water to the boil and cook the pasta in the same water. Drain.
- Combine the melted butter, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in medium sauce pan.
- Add flour mixed with salt, nutmeg and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- Slowly add the milk and cream, stirring continuously until blended.
- Simmer for 2 minutes or until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Combine the pasta, cauliflower and cheese sauce and transfer to a buttered casserole dish.
- Top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the breadcrumbs form a crispy crust.