Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is the best carrot cake that I have ever tasted. It has a really nice flavour that you won't need to try any other carrot cake recipes.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 3⁄4 cups coarsely grated carrots
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut or 1 cup desiccated coconut
topping Cream cheese frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 lb icing sugar
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- In large bowl, stir together sugar, eggs and oil with wooden spoon until well blended, about 5 minute.
- Add flour mixture a little at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add carrots, nuts, pineapple and coconut and blend thoroughly (squeeze juice from carrots and pineapple).
- Bake in greased and lined springform pan for about 60 to 90mins @ 180°C.
- Cream cheese frosting - cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Add icing sugar a little at a time and blend well. Add a tsp of milk if the mixture too thick.
Baked this many times now and have been asked for the recipe. Many loved it and said it was delicious. Have been asked to make it for others! Thanks so much for this recipe, Ida!