Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you love caramel, you will love this!!
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Add soda to buttermilk in heavy iron skillet.
- Add corn syrup and sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until a soft ball forms in water.
- Set aside to cool.
- Add pecans, vanilla, salt and butter.
- Drop by teaspoon on waxed paper.
this is excellent caramel. i made just as instructed leaving out the nuts and halving the recipe. The flavor is wonderfull, nothing beats fresh made candy. The only thing i would do different is to spray or butter the wax paper since i had a little trouble with it sticking.
Made this with the children in my After school program. It took 1/2 an hour instead of the 15 min's stated and a LARGE POT is definately a must due the abundance of foaming action (which the children missed because they got bored and went off). The end product resembled "ground taco meat" stated one fo the children. This recipe just wasn't for us.