Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Best ever cabbage rolls are sweet and savory. You will love this recipe.
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb lean pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 4 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 680 ml tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Core cabbage and place in a large pot. Fill hole with vinegar and salt. Fill pot with water to top of cabbage but not flowing into the core. Bring to a boil, turn stove off and leave overnight. The next morning your cabbage is cooled and ready to work with, perfect!
- Combine ground beef, pork, cooked rice, 2 tablespoons sugar, 4 tablespoons onion, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- Grab an appropriate sized handful of meat for the size of cabbage leaf and place at the core end of the leaf, roll, tucking sides of the leaf inches.
- Place on a platter seam side down.
- Continue with remaining leaves.
- Saute diced onion in the canola oil with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon paprika, until translucent.
- Place in the bottom of a large roasting pan.
- Add hot water and stir to combine.
- Place cabbage rolls on top of the onion mixture, arranging smaller ones on the second layer.
- Mix tomato sauce with the brown sugar and lemon juice; pour over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.