Recipe by thepurpleturtle
My sister got this recipe from one of her in-laws after falling in love with it a few years ago and it’s been our family favorite ever since! It’s so good with practically any meal, whether a mundane weeknight dinner or a more elaborate thanksgiving feast. Also, although it truly does taste the best with the cream of mushroom soup it can be made with any cream soup (I usually use broccoli cheese or 1 cream of chicken and 1 cream of celery because of picky hubby!). Oh, and I like to add a sprinkle of onion powder to the mix too! Edited to Add: I've been mixing 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese for the topping instead of just breadcrumbs. It's really good that way too!
Top Review by ellieszoo
Awesome recipe! I used Ritz Crackers instead of the plain breadcrumbs yummmmm..... I also agree the fresh broccoli makes the difference. This will be a staple in our family! Thanks for posting
- 3 -4 stalks fresh broccoli, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans mushroom soup
- 1 dash salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (I prefer aged cheese for the stronger flavor)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (or butter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam broccoli until tender and place in casserole dish (about 9” x 13”).
- In mixing bowl stir together mushroom soup, salt and pepper and cheese, spread over broccoli.
- In separate mixing bowl cut margarine into bread crumbs and then sprinkle over the mushroom soup and cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.