Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Modified from BH&G's Homemade Bread Cookbook. Tip: if you don't have whole milk on hand, mix your low-fat milk with a pat of melted butter. It helps preserve the fat ratio in the recipe and keeps the muffins from being dry.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries (thaw & drain if using frozen)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Stir thoroughly first 5 ingredients. Make well in center.
- Combine egg, milk, and oil; add all at once to dry mixture. Stir just till moistened.
- Combine blueberries, 4 tablespoons sugar, and lemon peel and fold into batter.
- Fill well-greased muffin pans or paper-lined muffin pans 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- While muffins are warm, dip tops in melted butter and then in sugar (can alternately dust with powdered sugar).
These are awesome. We didn't dip the tops, but they are so tasty. I love the cinnamon in these. My kids like them a lot too. Thanks for sharing!
These are the absolute best-ever Blueberry Muffins! Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I lost my BH&G bread book in a move and have been freaking out because I love it so much! I have been baking these since the early 70's and they are fabulous! I made them this morning in Texas muffin tins and I am hoping my hub does not wake up before they are done. I used fresh frozen blueberries that my neighbors daughter picked for me last season and I added some lemon zest to the dry as well as the berries. I also increased the dry ingredient sugar to 1/2 cup. The blueberry ingredients stated 4 tablespoons sugar while the directions state 3. It's muffins and not rocket science so if you like them sweet like my dh go for it! I also put a pinch of zest into the butter for dipping (I am actualy going to use a silicone brush, then sugar them and let them sit on the counter til dh is done sawing wood. He will have his coffee and I will have my tea and he will be smiling all day!