Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Cornell Cooperative Extension. Beef bouillon can be used for the beef stock. Worcestershire sauce can be used for the salt.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- Put all ingredients, except flour and tomato paste, into slow cooker; stir.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8-9 hours, until beef and potatoes are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, transfer about 2 cups of broth into mixing bowl. Add flour and tomato paste and whisk until smooth. Stir mixture into the stew and cook for an additional 30 minutes.