Recipe by nursecynthia
Western Barbecue Beef Jerky! We've been making this for years! I've tried a million recipes, and this is the best! Every year my husband goes deer hunting and every year we make this beef jerky to take on his trip. It's addictive! Your jaw will be aching!!!!!!! (I always use London Broil)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 9 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 3 lbs london broil beef or 3 lbs flank steaks, sliced into very thin strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients (except the meat) until combined.
- Add meat that has been thinly sliced (the meat is easier to slice when its half frozen) and marinade 24-48 hours, refrigerated.
- Remove from marinade, disguarding excess.
- Place onto food dehydrator trays, you'll know its done when it cracks when bent but does not break.
- I have never "over dehydrated" my jerky, I always feel its better over dried than under dried. Mine usually takes about a day and a half to be fully done. Rotate trays for even dehydration.