Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This BBQ sauce is a real beauty! With a rich and tangy flavour, some say it's mildly addictive!! It makes about 1 & 1/4 cups, and is delicious served with ANY BBQ meat, and especially good with sausages or barbecued Kransky!
- Gently saute the finely chopped onion in the oil.
- Add tomato ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce, water, vinegar and brown sugar to the onions.
- Remove a thin strip of peel from the lemon and add to the pan WITH the JUICE from the lemon.
- Add to this the paprika and chilli powder.
- Simmer VERY GENTLY for 1/2 hour, after which time the sauce should be thick and richly flavoured, and the oil absorbed into the sauce.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
Quite good, I used this sauce to baste ribs on the grill and they turned out very well. Deffinitely better than buying a bottle of sauce.
This was good but wasn't great for me. I made it to use with left over roasted chicken for BBQ shredded chicken sandwiches. Definitely tangy and spicy. I didn't have paprika so mixed some cayenne (but less). And I definitely will look to do BBQ sauce this way over bottled. Might try the molasses suggestion too.
I've made this several times now, always during the week to save on prep time on grilling weekends. It's all I expect a BBQ sauce to be, though like another reviewer mentioned, I will try to cut back on the oil a bit next time. To give the sauce some depth I make sure I caramelize the onions very well on low heat (until they're very, very brown) and I cook the sauce alot more that 30 mins, also on low heat. Here in France people aren't that big on BBQ sauce (or ketchup) but all my guests really liked it.